Working in the Community, Working for the Community

Category Archives: News

Independent TD Seamus Healy is continuing to urge peope not to register or pay the household charge.

According to him, over 1,000 people have now attended public meetings across the county to voice their opposition to the charge, as well as the septic tank registration fee and water taxes.

He said that the first phase of meetings has been particularly successful with volunteers coming forward from different areas to organise the campaign. Meetings have taken place in Clonmel, Carrick-on-Suir, Tipperary Town, Nenagh and Thurles so far and a second phase of meetings will commence shortly in Cahir, Cashel, Killenaule and Roscrea.

A “Tipperary Says No” poster campaign has also commenced across the county and a campaign newsletter is being delivered.

Anyone who would like further information or who would like to become involved in the campaign can contact http://www.nohouseholdtax.org or the helpline at 1890989800 or locally at Deputy Seamus Healy’s office at 56 Queen Street, Clonmel on 052 6121883.

Article published in the South Tipp Today on 16 February 2012


Séamus Healy TD and the Workers and Unemployed Action Group will hold further public meetings on the Household and Septic Tank Charges:

Cahir :
Cahir House Hotel – 27 February at 8.30pm

Cashel:
Kearney’s Castle Hotel – 01 March at 8pm

Killenaule:
St Mary’s Hall – 02 March at 8pm

Further details including venues to follow.


The campaign to build opposition to the Government’s €100 household charge is set to go county-wide as a number of additional public meetings are set to take place this month in North Tipperary, followed by more in the south of the county.

 

South Tipperary independent TD and Workers and Unemployed Action Group (WUAG) member Seamus Healy, who is also a member of the national Non Payment Campaign, has already held three public meeting on the household charge, septic tank charge and other related issues.

Next week on February 9 and 10, Deputy Healy and the WUAG will chair two further meetings in Nenagh and in Thurles, with three more to take place in Cahir, Cashel and Killenaule the following week.

“We are continuing to build the Non Payment Campaign right up until St. Patrick’s Day,” said Deputy Healy.

“We had a significant number of people attend the meetings that we held already, we had several hundred in attendance at the Clonmel meeting, about 120 in Carrick-on-Suir and about 70 in Tipperary Town.”

He said that a significant number of people have already signed up to the Non Payment Campaign, although he was not certain of the exact number. He also said that the number of people who have registered to make the payment is very small.

“A total of 1.8 million households are liable to register for the charge but so far only about four per cent have done so. We plan to build the campaign and have a significant number of people by March 31. There will be other local action, but this is a rolling campaign, for now we are just trying to get the meetings sorted out,” said Deputy Healy. He said that a poster campaign will also be commencing and more information about meeting dates and times will be available over the coming week.

 

Published on Friday 3 February 2012 – The Nationalist



Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started