The campaign to build opposition to the Government’s €100 household charge is set to go county-wide as a number of additional public meetings are set to take place this month in North Tipperary, followed by more in the south of the county.
South Tipperary independent TD and Workers and Unemployed Action Group (WUAG) member Seamus Healy, who is also a member of the national Non Payment Campaign, has already held three public meeting on the household charge, septic tank charge and other related issues.
Next week on February 9 and 10, Deputy Healy and the WUAG will chair two further meetings in Nenagh and in Thurles, with three more to take place in Cahir, Cashel and Killenaule the following week.
“We are continuing to build the Non Payment Campaign right up until St. Patrick’s Day,” said Deputy Healy.
“We had a significant number of people attend the meetings that we held already, we had several hundred in attendance at the Clonmel meeting, about 120 in Carrick-on-Suir and about 70 in Tipperary Town.”
He said that a significant number of people have already signed up to the Non Payment Campaign, although he was not certain of the exact number. He also said that the number of people who have registered to make the payment is very small.
“A total of 1.8 million households are liable to register for the charge but so far only about four per cent have done so. We plan to build the campaign and have a significant number of people by March 31. There will be other local action, but this is a rolling campaign, for now we are just trying to get the meetings sorted out,” said Deputy Healy. He said that a poster campaign will also be commencing and more information about meeting dates and times will be available over the coming week.
Published on Friday 3 February 2012 – The Nationalist